Island View School closed in 1949, but it’s still a landmark on Boyds Creek Highway. The one-room schoolhouse served a generation of youngsters between 1918 and 1949. It was built to replace another building destroyed in a 1917 hurricane. It had no indoor water supply or plumbing. One teacher faced 35 to 40 children of all ages; the older children helped the younger ones with lessons. The island in the school’s name was Buckingham Island across the road, scarcely an island since Douglas Dam steadied the flow of the French Broad.